Principles of Community
UCSC Principles of Community
UCSC's Principles of Community poster is also available for download. Click here to download PDF.
New 2015-16 Interactive Workshop Series:
The Staff Diversity Group will conduct one workshop each month for the next 7 months and each workshop will focus on a different principle. The group will explore what the principle means from both an institutional and individual viewpoint, and look at different ways we can incorporate the principle into our everyday lives to ultimately make the way we view our workplace as well as our larger community more positive and insightful.
The Workshops will be 90 minutes long and will occur over the lunch hour. All staff are encouraged to bring their lunch with them and refreshments will be provided.
Full Workshop Schedule:
- CELEBRATIVE – Tuesday, May 31, 2016
- DIVERSE – Tuesday, November 24, 2015
- PURPOSEFUL – Tuesday, December 15th, 2015
- OPEN – Tuesday, January 26, 2016
- CARING – Tuesday, February 23, 2016
- JUST – Tuesday, March 22, 2016
- DISCIPLINED – Tuesday, April 26, 2016
Those that attend 4 or more workshops will be presented a certificate at a celebration we will hold in June 2016. One of the main goals of the Staff Diversity Group is to be inclusive to all staff so invite your co-workers to attend with you! Everyone’s viewpoint and experience matters and together we can make a difference and see positive change!
UCSC expects that every campus member will practice these Principles of Community.
We strive to be:
- Diverse: We embrace diversity in all its forms and we strive for an inclusive community that fosters an open, enlightened and productive environment.
- Open: We believe free exchange of ideas requires mutual respect and consideration for our differences.
- Purposeful: We are a participatory community united by shared commitments to: service to society; preservation and advancement of knowledge; and innovative teaching and learning.
- Caring: We promote mutual respect, trust and support to foster bonds that strengthen the community.
- Just: We are committed to due process, respect for individual dignity and equitable access to resources, recognition and rewards.
- Disciplined: We seek to advance common goals through reasonable and realistic practices, procedures and expectations.
- Celebrative: We celebrate the heritage, achievements and diversity of the community and the uniqueness and contributions of our members.
We accept the responsibility to pursue these principles in an atmosphere of personal and intellectual freedom, security, respect, civility and mutual support.
UCSC is committed to enforcement of policies that promote the fulfillment of our principles of community. These policies include but are not limited to: University of California Personnel Policies for Staff Members; applicable University Collective Bargaining Agreements; Academic Personnel Manual O15-University of California Policy on Faculty Conduct and the Administration of Discipline; UCSC Policy on Student Conduct and Discipline; UCSC Policy on Sexual Assault and UC Policy on Sexual Harassment; UCSC Hate Bias Incident Policy. For further information or inquiries, contact the Directors of Academic and Staff Human Resources; Director of EEO/Affirmative Action Office; Director, Student Judicial Affairs; Sexual Harassment Officer; and Campus Ombudsman.
The UCSC Principles of Community statement was developed under the aegis of the Campus Welfare Committee, with broad campus consultation, and was endorsed by the Provost's Advisory Council and the Chancellor in June 2001.
2014-15 Year-Long Campaign Schedule
Fri, December 5, 2014 Kresge and Porter: OPEN
Thurs, January 22, 2015 Crown and Merrill: DIVERSE
Wed, February 18, 2015 College Nine and Ten: PURPOSEFUL
Mon, March 2, 2015 Cowell: DISCIPLINED
Fri, March 13, 2015 College Eight: CARING
Thurs, April 30, 2015 Oakes: JUST
Thurs, May 7, 2015 Stevenson: CELEBRATIVE