UC Santa Cruz home
- June 4: UCSC Campus Provost Alison Galloway provides a budget update as of May.
- February 27: Campus Provost Galloway gave audience members a detailed update about potential future cuts and a brief history of past reductions.
- January 10: In his welcome-to-winter-quarter message, Chancellor Blumenthal describes the most recent budget news from Sacramento and urges members of the campus community to become an advocate for UC.
- October 24: The Staff Advisory Board invites all staff to a November 1 staff forum at which Chancellor Blumenthal will provide updates on a range of issues, including UC's budget.
- October 19: Campus Provost Galloway says her interactions with students understandably focus on budget issues—and she describes steps she is taking to give students more of a voice in these issues.
- September 19: In her fall welcome message, Campus Provost Galloway says her top priority is to mitigate the impact of four years of budget cuts on campus.
- September 8: In a message to academic and staff employees, Assistant Vice Chancellor Moreno discusses a proposed phased retirement program.
- July 22: In a message to academic and staff employees, Assistant Vice Chancellor's Peterson and Moreno discuss contribution changes to UC's retirement system.
- July 21: Chancellor Blumenthal communicates with UCSC students and with faculty and staff, providing context for the Board of Regents' decision to increase tuition by another 9.6 percent.
- June 30: In a message to the campus community, Chancellor Blumenthal says the California budget Gov. Jerry Brown signed today includes an additional $150 million cut to the University of California — and it leaves the door open for further cuts if state revenues don't meet expectations.
- May 31: In a message to the cammpus community, Campus Provost Galloway shares information about her final budget decisions for the 2011-12 year — and previews five student-focused goals for the campus.
- May 16: In a statement issued to reporters, UC President Yudof says the "all-cuts" budget scenario described in Governor Brown's revised 2011-12 California budget would double the UC system's cut, to $1 billion.
- May 9: In a message to students, Vice Chancellor McGinty promotes additional opportunities for students to discuss UCSC's budget challenges with Campus Provost Galloway.
- May 3: Assistant Chancellor Sahni announces that the Chancellor's Office and the Academic Senate are hosting a Budget Forum for faculty and academic employees on May 10.
- April 18: In a message to the UCSC community, Campus Provost Galloway encourages members of the campus community to suggest ways to trim costs, increase revenue, or make operations more efficient.
- April 5: In a message to the UCSC community, Campus Provost Galloway provides an update on campus plans for addressing an expected $19 million budget reduction — and a timetable for decisions about proposed budget reductions.
- March 16: In a message to the campus community, Chancellor Blumenthal shares the key points he made in a presentation today to the UC Regents. The chancellor was one of three UC chancellors who were asked to discuss impacts of budget reductions on the campuses.
- March 3: Videos of the two forums held today about UCSC's budget challenges are now available for viewing:
- March 1: In a message to the UCSC community, Campus Provost Galloway provides an update on campus plans for addressing an expected $19 million budget reduction.
- February 24: In a message to the campus community, the Chancellor's Office promotes two upcoming forums on the campus's budget challenges.
- February 7: In testimony before the Budget Subcommittee of the California Assembly, UC President Yudof said the governor's proposed budget will "ratchet back state support for UC to a level it last saw in fiscal year 1998-99 — and since that time we've added 73,000 more students to our universe.
- February 7: In a message to the UCSC community, Campus Provost Alison Galloway provides information on the scale of new budget reductions the campus faces for 2011-12.
- February 4: Faculty members, students, and staff joined UCSC leaders and state representatives on Friday at UCSC's second annual Legislative Forum. The topic: the impact of the state's fiscal crisis on higher education — and the future of California.
- January 19: A $1 billion budget gap the University of California faces, including a proposed $500 million 2011-12 budget cut, could constrain the system's ability to meet the growing demand for a UC education, President Mark Yudof told the Board of Regents.
- January 10: In a message to the campus community, Chancellor Blumenthal discusses Gov. Brown's proposed 2011-12 state budget, which would cut $500 million from the University of California's budget.
- October 21: Videos of the two town hall meetings held on October 18 about about proposed changes to UC's post employment benefits are now available for viewing:
- October 14: The campus is reminded about two town hall meetings on Monday, October 18, about about proposed changes to UC's post employment benefits (see UCOP web site on UCRP Future). The following are related materials about these proposed changes:
- October 8: In a message to the campus community, Chancellor Blumenthal writes that the long-awaited state budget is nearing approval. The chancellor provides information about funding expected for the UC system. [More]
- October 1: In a message to staff and faculty, Assistant Chancellor Ashish Sahni announces that on Monday, October 18, the campus will host two town hall meetings about proposed changes to UC's post employment benefits. Those who are unable to attend a forum may submit questions for the panel via a web form. Video of the meeting will be accessible from this site after the forums. [More]
- September 9: In a systemwide message, UC leaders announced they will host an online town hall meeting September 24 to talk with faculty, staff and retirees about post-employment benefits, health care costs, UC's budget and other university issues. [More]