About: This is a place like no other -- a place that inspires, a place that evokes passion and imagination -- all with a view to a limitless horizon.
UCSC opened in 1965 with 650 students. Forty-eight years later, the campus is home to 15,400 undergraduate and 1,400 graduate students.
Achievements by UC Santa Cruz faculty and students have earned national and international recognition for the quality of research and teaching.
The latest news, achievements, milestones, and activities featuring UC Santa Cruz students, staff, and faculty can be found here, updated daily.
George Blumenthal is UCSC's 10th chancellor, appointed in July 2006. He joined the campus in 1972 as a professor of astronomy and astrophysics.
In a world of beavers, bears, and bobcats, UCSC is home to the mighty Banana Slug — which students voted in 1986 to adopt as the official campus mascot.
- April 11, 2014 President Obama nominates UCSC alumnus as NEH chair
- March 21, 2014 Deconstruction begins of historic Cowell Ranch barn
- March 14, 2014 UCSC announces three finalists for national architect competition
- Summary Statement
- Address & Phone
- History & Overview
- Student Services
- Principles of Community
- Employment at UCSC
- Photo Gallery
- Crime Awareness & Campus Security
- Economic Impact
- Long-Range Development Plan
- Awards and Honors
- National Reputation for Excellence facts
- 'People Making a World of Difference'
- 'Campus Portrait' Document
- Help and Support
UC Santa Cruz is a public university like no other in California, combining the intimacy of a small, liberal arts college with the depth and rigor of a major research university.
Looking for a specific division, undergraduate major, or graduate program?
UCSC residential learning colleges provide students with academic support, activities, and events that enhance the intellectual and social life of the campus.